The thought of retirement may make you nervous. You are not alone. Many of our clients believe a big part of their identity and purpose is their job or career. When they get closer to retirement, it may be the first time they think about what they want to do versus what they had to do while working.
In this episode, Jason Gabrieli and Catherine Allen-Carlozo focus less on finances and more on how to positively plan for a fulfilling and purposeful retirement. If thinking about retirement makes you wonder how you will be spending all your free time, you’ll find the tips in this episode quite useful.
Tune into this episode to learn:
- How preparing for retirement is not just financial, but also emotional.
- How you can spend your time in fulfilling ways once you retire.
- How to get over feelings of guilt in retirement and mentally adjust for retirement.
[00:30] Episode overview: alternative ways to think about retirement.
[01:58] Retirement is not just about having enough money, it’s also about this.
[03:45] 9 Awesome things you can do when you retire.
[08:39] Getting rid of the guilt that might come with retirement and mentally embracing freedom.
[11:09] Do you have to wait until social security kicks in to retire?
[11:36] Time management in retirement: give yourself me-time!
- Reframe the way you think about retirement. Steer your thinking to more positive territory. For example, you can think of retirement as a purposeful journey and a new chapter of your life.
- A financial plan is a stepping stone to financial freedom.
- There are several things you can spend your time doing once you retire. A few examples include: learning a language, volunteering, traveling and mentoring.
- You might not have to wait for social security to kick in before you retire. You might have enough to retire before it kicks in. Speak to a financial planner to assess your financial situations and make solid retirement plans.
- Retirement does not only require financial preparation. You also have to mentally prepared to retire and have a plan so that you don’t sense a loss of identity once you retire.
Connect with Jason Gabrieli:LinkedIn
Connect with Catherine Allen-Carlozo: LinkedIn
Like what you’ve heard…
Learn more about HFM HERE
Schedule time to speak with us HERE
Open an HFM Ignite account HERE
[05:44] “Isn’t it crazy that we work 50 weeks in the year for 2 weeks of vacation? So, how wonderful it is for people that can have this new chapter (retirement) in their life?” - Catherine
[09:13] “I think people have to get past that feeling of guilt. Give themselves permission. It’s all about you now. That’s what I love to say. It’s all about you, you can do anything you want. You don’t have to get up in the morning and have to be somewhere” -Catherine and Jason
[10:14] “And what is freedom? It’s not just freedom with your money, because that just means allowing yourself to make financial decisions without having any kind of stressful impact of that decision. But, it is also about your freedom of time”. - Catherine
[12:33] “Think about, as you are committing yourself to certain things, just make sure it is something that has flexibility. This is the time in your life where you should be flexible and you should be able to do what you want to do and that includes taking some time away here and there.” - Jason